About Me

Hi, my name is Jean Louise Finch, but everyone calls me Scout. I live in Maycomb County with my father Atticus and my brother Jem. Calpurnia watches us while Atticus goes to work; he's Maycomb's finest lawyer. Our mother died when I was real young. It was sad, but Jem remembers her better than I do. Dill is me and Jem's best friend. Dill and I are gonna get married some day. :) Jem, Dill, and I spend most of our time outside gettin' in to all kinds of trouble.

Me playing in the dirt in my front yard

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Colored Church

6/30/1934
One weekend Atticus was called to a state legislature session that lasted two weeks.  He left us under the care of Calpurnia.  She was worried about what to do about church for us because last time we were fatherless and teacherless the class tied Eunice Anne Simpson to a chair and locked her in the furnace room.  She finally decided to just take us with her to her church but not without remembering to scrub us down first.  When we got there everyone was staring at us.  Lula was the only person who had a problem with us being there, but Calpurnia put her in her place.  Cal's church was very different from ours.  They only had one hymnal to sing from! But I really liked going with her anyway.  She even said she might take me back one day; maybe even to visit her house!   

No comments:

Post a Comment